The most mesmerizing scene can be found early in the trek, as you leave the rainforest behind and walk between skinny heathers. Narrow this ridge may be, but the mouth-watering imagery on each side ranks as the second-most dramatic views that Kilimanjaro has to offer.
Relentlessly uphill, yet mesmerizingly beautiful
The Umbwe Route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the south. It is an extremely steep and direct climb that goes all the way to Barranco Camp before turning east and traversing under the Southern Ice Field. Sure, the scenery is mesmerizing and the slopes stay untouched, but this private climb is never easy.
The most challenging route
You ascend quickly to a higher altitude and that’s never easy. The Umbwe route doesn’t offer easy acclimatization and this means that the route specifically caters to experienced trekkers and strong hikers only.
- Explore parts of Kili that most will never see
- Reach Barranco Wall in just 2 days instead of 3 – 4 days
- One of the quietest trails up Kilimanjaro (for the first few days at least)
- Short and steep
- Poor acclimatization opportunities
- Fully catered camping accommodations only
- Lower success rates when compared to the more popular routes
- Very difficult, and only suitable for those who are in optimal physical condition
- If you’re looking for the ultimate experience, it doesn’t get better than Umbwe.
- Your legs, thighs and calves will curse you all day long, but your eyes and senses will delight at the scenery on display.