- Trip Overview
- Detailed Itinerary
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Mt Longonot is a dormant volcano estimated to have last erupted in the mid 1800s, and stands at an estimated 750 meters above the floor of the Great Rift Valley. The mountain is 2776 meters above sea level and dominates the surrounding landscape, with lava canyons on its steep slopes, and a circular caldera over a kilometer in diameter.
A number of viewpoints on the highway have become popular stopovers for motorists drawn by the splendor of this magnificent view. The whole mountain is a National Park under the jurisdiction of Kenya Wildlife Services. It is home to several wild animals including buffalos, antelopes and leopards, most of which live in the thick forest covering the crater floor. Spotting them is not guaranteed.
0600 Hours: Depart Nairobi and drive through Kikuyu lush green highlands and then to the eastern escarpment of the rift valley. Here you will make a brief stop to take pictures of great views of the Rift Valley.
The rift valley has some of the most interesting features including lakes and active volcanic mountains and hot springs and geysers. These include Olkaria geothermal wells and Lake Bogoria geysers. Mt Suswa and Mt longonot are also visible.
0730 Hours: You arrive at Mount Longonot National Park and start your hike. Mount Longonot hike requires medium physical fitness. The hike is fairly easy as you make rest stops along the way. The trek takes about 1.5 Hours to the top.
Once at the top you will have great views looking at Lake Naivasha and the flowers fields.
1200 Hours: Descend from the mountain to the base at the park headquarters. Our driver guide will then take you for lunch at on one of the hotels in Lake Naivasha.
1430 Hours: After lunch you can swim to wash away the dust from Mount longonot hike or opt to enjoy a boat ride on Lake Naivasha. Lake Naivasha has lots of water birds and hippos.
1600 Hours: Depart Lake Naivasha by road to Nairobi. You will be dropped off at your Nairobi hotel or residence
- Picnic lunch
- All entry fees, service charge and taxes
- Pickup from your hotel in Nairobi and drop-off to your hotel
- Services of a professional English speaking guide driver throughout the safari
- Guided walking tour by a local guide to the mountain and back to the entrance start point
- Tips or gratuity
- Travelers insurance
- Communication charges
- Minimum of two persons required
- Visas, international airfares and airport taxes; meals
- Sightseeing not included in the package; optional activities like Lake Naivasha Boat ride and lunch
- Personal expenses such as transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)
No Details Found